Yard Maintenance & Tree Removal

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Maintaining Your Yard

Community Appearance is a priority for the City Council, and our Code Enforcement ordinances include rules that require that yards be maintained and should not contain trash or debris.  Additionally, cars should not be cars be parked on your grass; they must be parked on all-weather surfaces.

Fall Alert! - Help us keep our drains functioning properly. Please do not rake or sweep those fallen leaves into the drainage structures and ditches. 


The City of Sandy Springs employs arborists that enforce the Tree Conservation Ordinance and can provide residents with guidance on tree removal requirements in the City of Sandy Springs.  The Sandy Springs Arborists do not provide tree removal; residents should contact private companies for that service.

A tree removal permit is required for removal of:

  • Any hardwood or pine tree 18″ Diameter at Breast Height (DBH) or larger
  • A Dogwood or Redbud 10″ DBH or larger
  • Any tree located within the Chattahoochee River Corridor or a stream buffer

How do I apply for a tree removal permit?

There is no permit needed, but you need to submit a tree removal request to the City Arborist. Your request should include documentation showing the location, species, and approximate size of all existing trees noting the trees to be removed. You can email that request to arborist@sandyspringsga.gov

Is there any cost for obtaining a tree removal permit?

There is no fee for a tree removal permit. The only associated cost is when you have canopy mitigation requirements for removal of a Landmark Tree, or if replanting is required to maintain canopy coverage of 35% (the minimum coverage required to be maintained on a residential property).

To reach the arborist, please use this link to send an email to the city arborist. 

To learn more about the city arborists visit the Trees and Arboriculture page in the Natural Resource Protection section of this website. 

Invasive Plants

Ivy covered charm, or ivy covered harm? Once a popular garden plant, English Ivy (Hedera helix) is an exotic invasive plant that is taking over and replacing our native flora, threatening the health of our trees, and creating environmental havoc. Property owners are responsible for the health and maintenance of all their trees. Please visit the English Ivy page on the website to learn more.

Streams and Creeks

Residents are responsible for the care and maintenance of streams and creeks on their property.


Protecting our streams, reducing pollution, and protecting the flora and fauna in the streams areamong the City’s priorities. Stormwater regulations address treating stormwater at its source, reducing the amount of stormwater runoff and infiltrating stormwater back into the groundwater system.

For more information, please visit our Stormwater page under our Natural Resource Protection heading.

Ten Things You can do to help prevent Stormwater damage:

  1. Never dump anything on the street, down a storm drain or in a drainage ditch.
  2. Scoop up after your pet, and dispose of it in the trash.
  3. Compost grass clippings and leaves, or bag them for curbside collection - please don't blow them into the street.
  4. Use fertilizers and pesticides sparingly. Don't apply them on paved areas.
  5. Check your vehicles for leaks and repair them if needed.
  6. Reduce, reuse and recycle cleaning and maintenance chemicals used at home.
  7. Recycle motor oil and other vehicle fluids.
  8. Put litter in its place.
  9. Wash cars at a commercial car wash or on a grassy area - not your driveway.
  10. Tell a friend or neighbor about how to prevent stormwater pollution - a little education goes a long way!

Yard Signs

The City of Sandy Springs has various sign ordinances which govern the type and number of signs that can be displayed on private property (to help prevent sign pollution).  For single and multifamily residential areas:  each lot may display up to two signs without obtaining a permit from the City. One of the signs may be an Expanded Informational Sign or a Cantilever Sign. The other sign can only be a Standard Informational Sign.

For examples of what these signs look like, please visit the Sign Permits page.

View Full Site