Visit the City's career section to apply and check for current open positions.
The individuals who wear the Sandy Springs Police Department’s badge share the common desire to make an impact and a difference every day. We look for men and women who value being part of a team where they are respected within the department and in the community we serve – police officers that know they have the opportunity to save lives and to change lives, too. The SSPD is proud of its high retention rate and career growth opportunities. The desire to help people in a city that embraces its police force, combined with a job where no two days are alike, make the Sandy Springs Police Department an optimum place to build a career.
These men and women also share these Core Values:
- Honor – To serve with integrity and truth withstanding all scrutiny.
- Integrity – Doing the right thing, at the right time, for the right reasons; even when no one is looking.
- Courage – Defense of values without fear, even in the face of adversity.
- Commitment – Complete dedication to our goals.
- Service – Selfless and sacrificial with or without reward.
- Respect – Earning trust through fairness and equality.
- Professionalism – Pride in striving for and maintaining excellence.
If our core values match yours, these are our minimum requirements:
- United States Citizen
- Minimum Age of 20
- Veterans Must have an Honorable Discharge
- A valid US Driver’s License
- A High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Vision cannot be less than 20 / 100 uncorrected and must be corrected to 20 / 20
Police Officer Pay -
- Police Recruit $41,000
- Police Officer 1 $43,150 - $58,084
- Police Officer 2 $47,741 - $64,715
- Once employed, the maximum pay for a police officer is $70,101.
Part-time Officer Pay
The police department employ's part-time officers to supplement operations. The pay for that position is $25.25/hr with a maximum of 12-29 hours per week (part-time officers are not eligible for benefits). Please visit the Open Opportunities in the City's Career Section to check for any current openings.
Steps in the Hiring Process –
ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE OR PASS EACH STEP IN THE PROCESS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT.
- Step 1: Submit your Application - The application is available for download when the Sandy Springs Police Department is actively recruiting.
- Step 2: Physical Fitness Assessment - Eligible applicants will be required to successfully complete a physical fitness assessment which includes the following: vertical jump, sit-ups, push-ups, 300-meter run, 1.5-mile run.
- Step 3: Background Packet - Upon successful completion of the physical fitness assessment, the applicant will receive a background booklet which will be completed within a period of time indicated by the Background and Recruiting Officer. The applicant will be scheduled for a meeting with the Background Investigator to review the booklet.
- Step 4: Panel Interview - The Sandy Springs Police Department will schedule eligible applicants for an interview based on current or future manpower needs. Applicants will be interviewed by an interview panel which is made up of Sandy Springs Police Personnel of various ranks. The interview panel will either recommend, or not recommend the applicant for further consideration.
- Step 5: Background Investigation
- Step 6: Interview with the Chief of Police, Executive Staff and/or Designees.
- Step 7: Conditional Offer of Employment – Applicants who successfully complete the steps above, and if a vacancy exists, will be given a conditional offer of employment. Once the applicant accepts the conditional offer of employment, the applicant must successfully complete the following steps.
- Step 8: Polygraph Examination Psychological Examination Medical Examination / Drug Screening
- Medical- Point of Service Plan
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance (4x yearly salary)
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Short/Long Term Disability
- Flex Spending Accounts
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Take Home Car Program
- Retirement Savings Options
*Full-time city employees receive a contribution of 12% of their annual salary into a 401(a) from the City of Sandy Springs beginning the first month following one month of employment.
*In addition to the City contributions to the 401(a), you can defer 1-100% of your salary into the 457(b) plan. The City will match dollar-for-dollar the first 5% of the amount you defer into this plan. City contributions will be made to your 401(a).
12% + 5% + 5%= 22%
City contributions are vested after 3 months of employment!If you are interested in applying for an open position, please complete an
application for employment and the Police Department Application Questionnaire. Return your completed documents to email@example.com. If you have any questions regarding the SSPD or the recruitment process, contact Officer Nick Smith at 770-551-3306 or e-mail.
The City of Sandy Springs provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status or status as covered veterans in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.