All SSFD emergency response vehicles are licensed as first responder units with the state – an engine, truck or rescue unit may respond to your medical call in addition to an ambulance.
- First responder units operate with two to four firefighters (FF) with EMS certification up to the paramedic level.
- Engines and trucks operate with a minimum three-person FF/EMT Crew.
- ONLY engines and trucks can manage a fire call; additional resources are sent if needed.
- The closest available appropriate unit will be dispatched to your emergency call.
- A basic life support medical call (BLS) will usually have a rescue unit with two people and an ambulance; more crews are called if needed.
- An advanced life support (ALS) call may have two fire units with five-six people total and an ambulance; more crews are called if needed.