All SSFD emergency response vehicles are licensed as first responder units with the state of Georgia. An Engine, Truck, or QRV (Quick Response Vehicle) may respond to your medical call in addition to an ambulance to assist with medical care.
- Engines and Trucks are staffed with three to four firefighters with EMS certifications up to the Paramedic level.
- Engines and trucks carry the same medical equipment that an ambulance does and can provide the same level of interventions.
- The closest available appropriate unit will be dispatched to your emergency call.
- Engines and Trucks are the only units capable of responding to a fire call.
- Calls are triaged by our dispatch center to better manage resources and ensure an appropriate response for the call.
- Most minor EMS responses will be handled by an ambulance only.
- More serious emergencies, calls located on high traffic roadways, or traffic accidents, will receive a QRV, Engine, or Truck to assist with patient care.
- Additional resources may be requested once the first units arrive on scene.