Visit the City's career section to apply and check for current open positions.
The Sandy Springs Fire Department (SSFD) is a high–performing organization located in the north metropolitan area of Atlanta, Georgia. SSFD provides emergency and medical services over 100,000 residents in a 38 square mile service area. Sandy Springs is the second largest city in the metropolitan Atlanta area and is the sixth largest city in Georgia.
To provide the highest level of fire and emergency services to our citizens and visitors with highly trained, and caring personnel. We will provide excellent customer service in response, education, prevention and professional services. We will show respect, value, pride, compassion and commitment as we serve the community.
The department currently employs 116 full-time personnel, operating from five fire stations with state of the art equipment.
As part of the City’s commitment for first responders to have the resources they need to protect the community, our fleet consists of seven vehicles:
- Two engines
- Three trucks with 105 foot ladders
- One tower with 100 foot bucket
- One mini-pumper
Sandy Springs Fire Department is seeking men and women who value being part of a team that is both respected within the department and the community we serve. We look for individuals who know they have the potential to not only save lives, but to change lives as well.
- United States Citizen
- Minimum Age of
- Veterans Must have an Honorable Discharge
- A valid US Driver’s License
- A High School Diploma or GED Certificate
Steps in the Hiring Process –
ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE OR PASS EACH STEP IN THE PROCESS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT.
- Step 1: Submit your Application - The application is available for download when the Sandy Springs Police Department is actively recruiting.
- Step 2: Physical Fitness Assessment - Eligible applicants will be required to successfully complete a physical fitness assessment involving stair climb, mannequin drag, hose pull, pike pole drill, and other activities while wearing fire department turnout gear.
- Step 3: Panel Interview - The Sandy Springs Fire Department will schedule eligible applicants for an interview based on current or future staffing needs. Applicants will be interviewed by an interview panel which is made up of Sandy Springs Fire Personnel of various ranks. The interview panel will either recommend, or not recommend the applicant for further consideration.
- Step 4: Background Packet - Upon recommendation of the interview panel, and and if a staffing vacancy exists, the applicant will undergo a background investigation.
- Step 5: Conditional Offer of Employment – Applicants who successfully complete the steps above will be given a conditional offer of employment.
- Step 6: Polygraph Examination Psychological Examination Medical Examination / Drug Screening - Once the applicant accepts the conditional offer of employment, the applicant must successfully pass a polygraph, psychological, and medical assessment to be considered for hire.
- Step 7: Interview with the Fire Chief, Executive Staff and/or Designees.
The City of Sandy Springs offers its personnel the opportunity to choose from a selection of benefit plans and programs that meet individual and family needs. Benefit plans are available to full-time personnel and their eligible dependents.
- Major Medical Insurance (Point of Service or HSA)
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance (4x Salary)
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Assistance Program
- Sick Days
- Leave of Absence (including Military Leave)
- Jury Duty
- Bereavement Days
*Full-time city employees receive a contribution of 12% of their annual salary into a 401(a) from the City of Sandy Springs beginning the first month following one month of employment.
*In addition to the City contributions to the 401(a), you can defer 1-100% of your salary into a 457(b) plan. The City will match dollar-for-dollar the first 5% of the amount you defer into this plan. City contributions will be made to your 401(a).
Example: An employee elects to put 5% into the 457(b) plan. The City provides the normal 12% contribution plus an additional 5% match (17% total in the 401(a)).
City contributions are vested after 3 months of employment!
If you are interested in applying for an open position, please complete an application for employment.
The City of Sandy Springs provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status or status as covered veterans in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.