Residential Building Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When is a residential building permit required?

A permit is required whenever  a property owner is constructing, altering, enlarging, repairing or demolishing a building, structure or tenant space.

When is a residential building permit not required?

A residential building permit is not required for general aesthetic improvements such as painting & carpeting.

Who can apply for a residential building permit?

A permit can be obtained by licensed contractor or the property owner. In order for the property owner to obtain a permit, the property must be their current permanent residence.

How long will it take to get a residential permit?

Minor residential improvements and additions are reviewed within 5 business days. 

Permits may be issued the same day or next day if the building plans meet the necessary requirements. 

New construction and major improvements or additions are reviewed within 10 business days. 

Residential projects that require major site improvements and projects that are within the Chattahoochee River Corridor are reviewed with twenty business days.

Applying for a Residential Building Permit

To apply for a residential building permit, please visit the construction permit desk located at the “Zoning and Permitting” entrance on the south side of City Hall. The plan review process varies based on the scope of work.

Licensed Contractors: Please bring your Trade Card, Business License and state issued ID (e.g. driver’s license).

Property Owners: Please bring your state issued ID (e.g. driver’s license). You will need to sign an affidavit certifying that you are responsible for the project.

Required Application Documents: The following documents are required for the permitting process. You can fill these out before you visit us, or we can assist you once you arrive.

Residential Building Information Sheet
Residential Building Permit Application 
Residential Certificate of Occupancy Application
Contractor Affidavit
Owner-Occupant Affidavit
Soil Erosion Agreement
Single Family Site Plan Checklist
Single Family Addition Site Plan Checklist

Associated Documents: The following documents may also be required, depending on the nature of your permit request. You can complete these when you visit after speaking with one of our permit technicians.

Single Family Residential Building Permit Checklist - Minor Interior Alterations
Single Family Residential Building Permit Checklist - Major Alterations
Single Family Residential Building Permit Checklist - Minor Additions and Generators
Single Family Pool Site Plan Checklist 

Permit Fees

In Sandy Springs, the fee for a permit is based on a number of factors. To find out how much the permit will cost, please view our permit fee schedule. Our Permit Technicians can also assist you in calculating your permit fee.

Inspection Process

Inspections will vary based on the construction scope of work. At bare minimum the permit should receive rough inspections for each trade (building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical if performed) and final inspections for each trade.

To complete your permit requirements, you will need to schedule phased inspections using the online inspection request form. Alternatively you can call 770-730-5600.

Required inspections:

  • Pre-construction meeting onsite with Land Development Officer
  • Footings – after footings are dug and steel is in place
  • Foundation wall – after forms and steel are in place
  • Rough framing – after dry in and before insulation
  • Rough electrical – after rough is in and before insulation
  • Rough plumbing after rough in and before insulation
  • All underground utilities require inspection prior to being buried
  • Note: A pressure test is required on both supply and drain waste vent systems
  • Rough mechanical – after rough in and before insulation
  • Gas line inspection – after all gas lines are installed and pressured up
  • Insulation – after insulation is installed and before any coverings are installed
  • Final electrical, mechanical, plumbing, building – these are done when the home is finished and in move-in condition
  • Final site inspection – this is due when all landscaping is completed.

Certificate of Completion

If desired, a Certificate of Completion can be obtained from the City at the cost of $50. Property owners sometimes use these certificates to show interested parties that a project was completed in compliance with City code, for instance, if a property is being sold imminently.

View Full Site