Due to dangerous driving conditions, City Hall is closed today.  Municipal Court is closed today. Fulton County Schools are also closed today.  Below freezing temperatures means that ice is likely. Please use added caution if venturing outdoors.  

Land Disturbance Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When is a land disturbance permit required?

Generally a land disturbance permit is required when over 5,000 square feet of ground disturbance is proposed. This can include grading, clearing, paving, grubbing, or any other activity that meets the definition of land disturbing activity under article IV of The City of Sandy Springs Development Regulations Ordinance. On a case by case basis, a land disturbance permit may be required for ground disturbance under 5,000 square feet when the disturbance will result in the need for erosion control BMP’s or result in changes to topography and storm water drainage patterns.

If the construction does not involve development or installation of infrastructure for a development, an excavating and grading permit may be applied for instead of a land disturbance permit.

The City requires that applicants comply with the Georgia Stormwater Manual, updated and approved by the State, January 2016. 

When is a land disturbance permit NOT required?

A land disturbance or excavating and grading permit may not be required if the proposed ground disturbance does not exceed 1,000 square feet, does not result in the need for erosion control BMP’s, and does not result in changes to topography or storm water drainage patterns. It is recommended that you contact The City of Sandy Springs to verify a permit is not required before proceeding with the work.

Who can apply for a land disturbance permit?

Land disturbance permits are generally applied for by the property owner or developer.

Applying for a Land Disturbance Permit

To apply for a land disturbance permit, please visit the construction permit desk located at the “Zoning and Permitting” entrance on the south side of City Hall.  Land disturbance plan reviews typically last 10 business days.

Licensed Contractors: Please bring your Trade Card, Business License and state issued ID (e.g. driver’s license).

Property Owners: Please bring your state issued ID (e.g. driver’s license). You will need to sign an affidavit certifying that you are responsible for the project.

Required Application Documents: The following documents are required for the permitting process. You can fill these out before you visit us, or we can assist you once you arrive.

Land Disturbance Permit Application 

Additional documents that may be required depending on the project: 
As-Built Detention Facility
As-Built Checklist
Drainage Review Checklist
Erosion Control Checklist
Fulton County Driveway Manual
Gate Standard
Hydrology Review Checklist
Maintenance Agreement - detention ponds
Maintenance Surety Calculation Form
Land Disturbance Minimum Submittal Requirements Checklist
Erosion and Sediment Control Plan Review Checklist
Right of Way - Easement Dedication
Trans Standards
Transportation LDP Checklist
Performance Surety Calculation Form
Pre-Construction Meeting Minutes

Permit Fees

In Sandy Springs, the fee for a permit is based on a number of factors. To find out how much the permit will cost, please view our permit fee schedule. Our Permit Technicians can also assist you in calculating your permit fee.

Inspection Process

The minimum inspections required are:

1.  Pre-construction meeting inspection:

  • The pre-construction meeting inspection is conducted prior to any and all land disturbing activities.
  • Storm Water receptor inspection if applicable

2.  Final site inspection: Final site inspection – this is due when all landscaping is completed.

View Full Site