In addition to being a wonderful place to live and do business, the City of Sandy Springs, itself is also a great place to work for, offering a wide range of jobs and opportunities. The City’s Public-Private Partnership model of local government means that most city services are provided by private companies. You'll find links to these contractors below. Public safety jobs within the police and fire department, along with a few other positions, are hired directly through the city.
Open Positions with the City
- Type:Full Time
- Posted Date:12/14/2018 7:37 am
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
Under general supervision, performs a variety of duties involved in the enforcement of laws and prevention of crimes; controls traffic flow and enforces State and local traffic regulations; participates in and conducts a variety of criminal investigations; provides a high level of customer service and integrate the community into policing activities; participates in community based police activities and programs; performs a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of law enforcement services and activities. Performs other duties, as required.
Police Recruit - $42,181
Police Officer 1 - $44,403 - $49,012 DOQ
Police Officer 2 - $49,111 (must be Georgia POST Certified with 4 or more total years of Law Enforcement experience)
Minimum Qualifications / Requirements
• Must be a United States Citizen
• Minimum age of 20, must be 21 at time of employment
• Must possess a valid US Driver’s License, must possess a GA Driver’s License at time of employment
• Must possess a High School Diploma or a GED Certification
• Additionally, applicants that do not already possess a current Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council (P.O.S.T.) Basic Law Enforcement Certification must be able to show proof of acceptable ASSET, COMPASS, SAT, ACT or P.O.S.T. Entrance test scores for Georgia Peace Officer's Standards and Training Council (P.O.S.T.) Academy Entrance. (A copy of the acceptable test scores will be requested.) For additional information visit http://gapost.org/ee_info.html.
• Veterans must have an honorable discharge
• Visual ability cannot be less than 20/100 in each eye uncorrected, and must be corrected to 20/20 with glasses, contact lenses, or RK surgery.
• Must successfully complete all steps in the hiring process including:
o Must pass a physical fitness assessment.
o Must successfully pass an extensive background investigation.
o Must successfully pass post-offer polygraph examination, psychological and medical evaluations, and drug screen.
• Must be able to write clearly, accurately, concisely, and legibly using correct English, grammatical construction, and spelling, must be able to read and interpret complex technical documents in English.
• Must have the ability to express him/herself in a clear, distinct, and understandable manner when speaking to individuals, to people of different socio-economic level, before various public and community groups, and when testifying.
• Must exhibit excellent customer service skills.
• Must have the ability to interpret, apply, and makes decisions in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
• Must have a basic knowledge of community policing principles and practices.
Steps in the Hiring Process
All applicants must successfully complete or pass each step in the process to be considered for employment.
• Step 1: Submit your application - The application is available when the Sandy Springs Police Department is actively recruiting.
• Step 2: Physical Fitness Assessment - Eligible applicants will be required to successfully complete a physical fitness assessment.
• Step 3: Background Packet - Upon successful completion of the physical fitness assessment, the applicant will receive a background booklet which will be completed within a period of time indicated by the Background and Recruiting Officer. The applicant will be scheduled for a meeting with the Background Investigator to review the booklet.
• Step 4: Panel Interview - The Sandy Springs Police Department will schedule eligible applicants for an interview based on current or future manpower needs. Applicants will be interviewed by an interview panel which is made up of Sandy Springs Police Personnel of various ranks. The interview panel will either recommend, or not recommend the applicant for further consideration.
• Step 5: Background Investigation
• Step 6: Interview with the Chief of Police, Executive Staff and/or Designees
• Step 7: Conditional Offer of Employment – Applicants who successfully complete the steps above, and if a vacancy exists, will be given a conditional offer of employment. Once the applicant accepts the conditional offer of employment, the applicant must successfully complete the following steps.
• Step 8: Polygraph Examination Psychological Examination Medical Examination / Drug Screening
Retirement – Profit Sharing Plan – Full-time employees receive 12 % contribution from the City and are eligible to receive an additional matching contribution of up to 5%.
Medical – Currently two plans Point of Service (POS) and Health Savings Account (HSA)
Health Savings Account – Funded, in part, by the City of Sandy Springs. (This is associated with Medical HSA Plan.)
Dental – Currently two plans – Premium and Value
Medical Flexible Spending Account (for POS plan participants only.)
Limited Purpose Medical Flexible Spending Account (for HSA plan participants only.)
Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
Short Term Disability – Employees are automatically enrolled at no cost.
Long Term Disability - Employees are automatically enrolled at no cost.
Life Insurance- Employees are automatically enrolled at no cost in our base group life and AD&D insurance. Full-time employees are covered for four times earnings (up to a maximum of $750,000) with additional benefits through the AD&D if applicable.
Additional Voluntary Life
Take Home Car Program (20 mile radius)
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete an online application for employment which includes the Police Department Application Questionnaire by visiting https://secure.entertimeonline.com/ta/110FLX.jobs?ApplyToJob=100684739 .
Please note that incomplete applications and questionnaires will not be considered.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
If you have any questions regarding the SSPD or the recruitment process, contact Officer Elizardo Rodriguez at 770-551-3306.
Positions Hired through Private Contractors
For career information with companies that provide other city services, please visit their websites:
- Information Technology – Interdev
- Finance – Inframark
- Municipal Court and Recreation Parks – Jacobs Engineering
- Public Works – AECOM
- Communications and Community Development – The Collaborative
- City Springs - Performing Arts Center
Interested in Volunteering? Visit our volunteer opportunities page.
Those interested in volunteering at the Performing Arts Center can call 770.206.2063. Note that this number is for volunteer opportunities only.
Equal Opportunity Policy
The City provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, or military or veteran status, or any other status or classification protected by applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.