In addition to being a wonderful place to live and do business, the City of Sandy Springs, itself is also a great place to work for, offering a wide range of jobs and opportunities.
Open Positions with the City
Traffic Engineer I
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$58,000-$72,000 DOQ
- Posted Date:11/26/2019 2:44 pm
To apply, please visit our Career Center.
Traffic Engineer I
Location: Public Works Department, Traffic/Transportation Unit
Reports to: Traffic/Transportation Unit Manager
• Provides technical engineering support and assists in the preparation of specifications for traffic engineering on public works projects within the department.
• Assists traffic engineers and project managers on projects related to traffic capacity analysis, traffic calming, ITS, traffic operations, safety analysis, and other related traffic engineering work
• Assists in developing the city’s Intersection Operations and Safety Program
• Reviews traffic control plans for Utility, Special Event, and Land Disturbance permits as well as public works project
• Develops traffic control plans for city events
• Reviews striping and signing and develops signing and striping plans
• Conducts traffic operations and safety analysis
• Provides customer service response
• Work in a fast paced environment to complete a multitude of tasks
• Performs a variety of tasks and a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected
• Minimum Bachelor's degree in civil engineering and/or demonstrated equivalent, combination of education, skills, knowledge, abilities and experience.
• Registration as a EIT
• Working knowledge of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Devices (MUTCD)
• Working knowledge and application experience of MicroStation or AutoCAD and ArcGIS.
• Working knowledge of Synchro
• Valid driver's license required
• Minimum 2 years of experience in engineering field or MS in Civil Engineering with a focus on Transportation/Traffic Engineering
• Must be familiar with traffic engineering software like Synchro, HCS, SIDRA, and TORUS
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• Good communication and analytical skills
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• Committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all safety policies and must be willing to report and/or act on safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel
• Performs duties in a combination of outside work and an office environment. Job requires employee to perform duties at a job site; at times working alone and at times working very closely with others
• Requires outside work, subject to all types of weather and temperature conditions. Incumbents may be exposed to commonly encountered chemicals, solvents, fumes, smoke, and gases found in any around construction sites and various types of surfaces, including slippery or uneven surfaces
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, the use of both eyes and the ability to adjust focus
• Must be able to move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 75 pounds of force occasionally and up to twenty pounds of force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for active work
Schedule and Compensation:
• Normal workday is 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
• Expected to meet attendance standards as determined by management. Employee must be available and willing to work according to the assigned schedule. Must be available and willing to work overtime (including daily, weekend and holidays) as determined by management as necessary to meet the business needs
• Provides rotational after hours/on-call support for up to one week per month
• Provides Emergency Operations Center support, as needed
• $58,000-$72,000 DOQ
Interested in Volunteering? Visit our volunteer opportunities page.
Those interested in volunteering at the Performing Arts Center can call 770.206.2063. Note that this number is for volunteer opportunities only.
Equal Opportunity Policy
The City provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, or military or veteran status, or any other status or classification protected by applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.